Saturday, April 12, 2008

Horton Hears a Who is a Hit!

Horton Hears a Who! (2008)

remember when I first saw the commercial for this movie I had absolutely no interest in spending my $8 on a potentially terrible adaptation of a book I loved as I kid. Then I was talking to some friends and one of them sheepishly admitted to wanting to see Horton Hears a Who. It was almost as if a switch was flipped inside of me and I began thinking: "well, maybe it won't be THAT bad...and I DID love the book." So when that friend asked if I wanted to see it with him, I said yes...yes I would.

Well let me just tell you, the commercially do not do it justice. The previews make it look like it is full of stereotypical jokes and stereotypical characters and, well, I'll admit that they are there, but they're endearing. Yes, I said it! They're endearing! The entire movie was incredibly endearing BUT it was also bizarre and twisted...just like how I remember all Dr. Suess novels as being like.

Not only that, but it contained a higher level of understanding that Dr. Suess had in all of his storybooks. You know what I mean...take the Lorax, for example, which dealt with pressing environmental issues cleverly contained in an imaginary world in a children's book. Horton Hears a Who deals with things like anarchy, religion, totalitarianism, existentialism, democracy, and faith. The movie portrays it spotlessly. The movie is emotional and smart and funny. It's not funny all the time for an adult (it IS a kid's movie, after all), but it is clever and completely worth the time and money.

Do I recommend it? Heck yes I do!

More Info
Movie

Movie Trailer

No comments: